Sunday, July 21, 2013

That's pretty sloppy, Udacity

Udacity has been in the news lately for getting sidelined at San Jose State, so I thought that I'd check out their College Algebra class. Here's what I found while noodling around in the course for an hour or so.

This one is a straightforward mistake. They just switched the sign of their equation.




This question is pretty dumb. I don't see any reason why you couldn't relate any of these variables together in an equation. Particularly, I think it would be fun to relate Athena's level of thirstiness and how much cash she's willing to put into the machine.


This exercise says that there are three incorrect answers, but there are actually four wrong answers.



Here's a question that's kind of dumb, but a kid pops up in the forum and makes it a thousand times more interesting:



Oh, snap!

Anyway, based on what you read in the news, you might've come to the conclusion that Udacity's College Algebra course isn't very good. Turns out? Yeah, it's sloppy and not very good.

Shocking, I know.

2 comments:

  1. What's the context of the last one? I really have no idea how it fits in anything.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It comes at the very beginning of the course. It's supposed to motivate the usefulness of counting and numbers more generally.

      Delete