Wednesday, July 13, 2011

A waste of time?

I'm not a curriculum developer. It's insane to think that I can do this. But I'm devoting a lot of time to making sense of my curriculum, writing lessons over the summer, etc. What's the point? There are, out there, better lessons and course-wide structures than I could possibly produce. I'm devoting a lot of time, right now, to thinking through Algebra 2. Why bother?

Here are my reasons:
(1) Thinking through curricular issues will make me more sensitive to student needs. I'll know which questions to ask, which points to emphasize, which ones to let go more easily.
(2) I don't have access to all those resources, and it's not a given that my school can provide me with them. I am, still, on my own.
(3) My school year has about 130 math teaching days, so I'm forced to make curricular decisions. I can't rely on someone else's curriculum.
(4) My students take the Regents exam, so my challenge is right there: I need to make tough curricular decisions while still getting my students to pass NY's Algebra 2 Regents.

Still, it's exhausting and doesn't have much to do with the actual practice of helping kids learn these things. Sigh.

1 comment:

  1. >Still, it's exhausting and doesn't have much to do with the actual practice of helping kids learn these things.

    If it's exhausting, you're attempting too much for one summer. Make sure you get some rest and relaxation so you're ready for the hard work of teaching.

    On the other hand, it has lots to do with 'the actual practice of helping kids learn', imo. You will have a much clearer sense of the big picture, and I believe (no data, sorry) that will make you a better teacher, perhaps in the long run.

    ReplyDelete